Skip to main content

High-speed personal watercraft (PWC) can give you the adrenaline rush you are looking for, but they come with high risks. According to the US Coast Guard, PWCs are responsible for 36% of all boating injuries. Getting injured on a rental jet ski is not on your vacation to-do list. Make sure you do your part to stay safe.

Know Before You Go

When renting a PWC like a jet ski, carefully review the rental agreement before signing. Some rental companies may include clauses that release them from liability, even if they are responsible for your injuries. It is better to be safe than sorry; seek out companies that will take accountability. You can always visit the company’s website or call to access their agreement to ensure you pick the best rental company.

Understanding Liability

Rental companies can be held liable under the following circumstances:

  • Lack of Proper Equipment: The rental company is responsible for familiarizing riders with the watercraft before departure. This includes providing essential safety gear like life jackets and a sound signaling device.
  • Lack of Training: Since most riders are beginners, rental companies are responsible for providing a lesson on basic watercraft operation to avoid accidents due to a lack of experience.
  • Lack of Maintenance: If the rental company neglects proper maintenance protocols, they can be liable for injuries. Knowingly renting out a faulty watercraft without addressing or disclosing its defects would put the company at fault in the event of an accident.

Fielding Law is Here for You

Whether you are heading to the California coast or the infamous Lake Havasu in Arizona, make sure your trip remains injury-free and participate in summer activities responsibly. If you are injured using a rental jet ski, follow our guide on what to do after a jet ski accident. Our team at Fielding Law is available for you 24/7 to help you navigate your path to justice; call us at 833.88.SHARK.

Note: Information provided is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice. Always consult with a qualified attorney for legal concerns.